lørdag 8. august 2009

Installing Debian on EEE 901

For some reason, my Asus 3e 901 decided to freeze during boot. No magic would heal the system, so I booted into a live distro, salvaged the content of my home directory, and decided to offer myself a brand new debian installation.

For once, I didn't have a linux machine to help me. That caused some trouble, but I was able to get windows utilities to perform the same tasks as dd. 

I decided to use the eee community edition of debian. It is available at http://eeepc.debian.net/debian/images/debian-eeepc.img. Used HP usb disk storage tool to format a pendrive and flashnul to write the image to the device.


Struggled a while with booting the 3e from a usb device. I figured out that you should enter bios (f2 during boot), and enable removable device as primary boot medium, and turn off silent boot and quick boot. It might also be a good ide to set the bios in "install os" mode. 

Save, reboot. Then hit ESC while booting to get a boot menu, and select USB. 

The installer was able to detect both ethernet and wireless NICs. I was able to retrieve the base system as a charm. Promising. I got some hints out of http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEeePC/HowTo/Install

Then boot. Remember to revert the bios settings - at least set os install mode to "installed". 

After boot, I installed those xorg packages suggested by the debianeee howto, and then fluxbox with dependencies. And behold, Xorg started without a glitch. Amazing. Nothing like those old days of xorg.conf hacking, hsync, vsync yadda yadda.

apt-get install bliss

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar